Parent Pre-Orientation Checklist
- Have your student fill out the FAFSA
Be sure to have your student fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to qualify for financial aid. The priority target date for incoming freshmen is March 1. Submit as soon as possible to ensure timely disbursal of your financial aid. Your student can fill out the FAFSA at www.fafsa.gov. For more information, visit http://onestop.umn.edu/finances/financial_aid/basics
- Registration for Parent Orientation will begin April 5.
- Take a look at some of the benefits of attending Parent Orientation.
- Review the Planning for Your Orientation Newsletter (mailed in April or May, depending on the confirmation of enrollment).
- Make sure your student completes the housing application & roommate search.
- If your student wishes to live in University housing, they should complete their application as soon as possible. The last day to apply to be guaranteed a University Housing space is May 1. You can complete the application at http://www.housing.umn.edu/apply/
- Students who do not have a living learning community request can participate in the roommate search program available until May 31.
- Remind your student to check their University email
- Be sure your student is regularly checking their University email account at mail.umn.edu. They will be notified of their financial aid awards, and any other school-related business through this account. Your email address is your Internet ID (ex. smith001) plus @umn.edu (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Housing Deadlines:
May 15: Housing Guarantee payment due
May 31: Last day student can change their housing preferences (e.g. hall request, roommate request, Living Learning Community request, etc.)
- Have your student notify One Stop Student Services of any non-University of Minnesota scholarships
- If your student receives any non-University scholarships, please report them to One Stop Student Services as soon as possible, preferably by the beginning of July.
- Talk to your student about bringing questions to orientation
- Once your student confirms their enrollment to the University of Minnesota, they will begin receiving information regarding their next action steps including attending new student orientation. Your student should bring any questions they may have about life at the U to orientation. For more information, visit Freshman Orientation.
- Prepare for parent orientation
- What you should bring as a parent to orientation
- Copy of health insurance forms (click here for details about health insurance and services)
- Arrange for overnight accommodations on campus or off campus
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Sweater (Buildings are air-conditioned)
- Have your student review the How-To-Guides to prepare for course registration
- Have your student respond to their financial aid awards
- If your student has completed steps 1 thru 3 on their Financial Aid Status, they should receive an email in mid-July stating that their Financial Aid Award Notice (FAAN) is ready for them to view and respond. At that point your student can accept, decline, or reduce the amounts offered. For more information visit http://onestop.umn.edu/finances/financial_aid/award_acceptance/
- Roommate assignments
For those students living on campus, roommate assignments will be mailed by July 31.
- Have your student complete the loan documentation
If your student accepts loans on their electronic financial aid award notice, they will be moved to step 5 on their Financial Aid Status and asked to complete necessary loan documentation. Click here to learn about the disbursement of financial aid after all documentation is complete.
- Talk to your student about financial aid responsibility
Now that you know what financial aid your student has been awarded, you can have a conversation about whose responsibility it is to pay back any loans, interest, or other fees accumulated throughout your student’s years at school. For more information on making wise borrowing choices go to: http://onestop.umn.edu/finances/financial_aid/loans/compare/index.html
- Have your student set up Parent/Guest Access
If you would like permission to view and discuss the details of your student’s record, your student must authorize you with Parent/Guest Access. Access may be granted to one of more of these student records: Enrollment summary, grades, holds, financial aid status, view financial aid awards, student account/online billing & payment, housing contract, student conduct in on-campus housing, meal plans, FlexDine, and Gopher GOLD™ value
- Beginning July 21: Remind your student to do their event selection for Welcome Week.
- Help your student prepare for Move-in Day.
- While your student is moving in, attend a Parent Reception.
- Remind your student to look at billing information
Payment dates as well as where, when, and how to pay the bill can be found at http://onestop.umn.edu/finances/pay/where_when_how.
- Register for Parents Weekend
Parents Weekend offers parents a chance to spend time with their student on campus, learn more about the University of Minnesota, and get answers to the questions that come up after students start college. Registration information will be posted at www.umn.edu/parent.
- Talk to your student about budgeting and money management
As your student prepares to leave for college, they should start thinking about what kind of budget they will have and where their money will be spent while at college. The Money Management page on the One Stop website offers some great budgeting tools and advice.
- September 15: Last day a student in the residence hall can request a meal plan change for the fall semester