The 2018 Orientation Leader position application is closed.
Orientation Leaders are responsible for administering a successful New Student Orientation and Welcome Week. Both programs focus on providing a quality transitional experience for new students. Additionally, the Orientation Leaders work as a team to recruit and prepare a volunteer team of 350 Welcome Week Leaders.
New Student Orientation will occur on various dates between June 5-July 13 and August 22-27, 2018. The role of the Orientation Leaders is to lead groups of new first-year students and their parents/guests and to educate them on campus resources and student life issues as part of their transition to the University.
Welcome Week is August 29-September 2, 2018 and is the second step in a first-year student's transition. First-Year students will move/come to campus and participate in programming to assist in their transition to the University. OLs train and supervise the Welcome Week Leaders and staff Welcome Week events.
Applicants must be in good academic standing (at, or above a 2.3 GPA) with two completed semesters, not including summer session or post-secondary work, of university or collegiate experience. First-year students, graduate students, students studying abroad with departure date prior to September 2, 2018, and students graduating in May 2018 are not eligible to apply.
Orientation Leaders (OLs) are selected based on their ability to work well with others, communicate effectively, and commit to a rigorous schedule. OLs must display public relations skills and maturity of judgment. Additionally, OLs need to have patience, flexibility, strong organizational skills, and be willing and ready to learn. They should be resourceful and capable of assuming a leadership position with little supervision.
*All dates are subject to change.
OLs participate in training on issues such as facilitation, peer supervision, equity and diversity, sexual violence and health, conflict management, communication skills, and a variety of other leadership topics. The goal of training is to support and challenge OLs as they develop the leadership and facilitation skills needed for the position. OLs will also be responsible for the recruitment and training of the Welcome Week Leaders during the Spring.
- Winter Retreat, January 12-14, 2018
- Wednesday meetings from 3:30-7:30 p.m., January 17-May 2
- Welcome Week Training Sessions in February, March, and April (Dates TBD). OLs will participate in 5 of 9 total sessions.
OLs are expected to attend daily summer training on program logistics prior to Orientation and again prior to Welcome Week. These training sessions focus on presenting specific workshops, leading campus tours, understanding University policies, and becoming more knowledgeable about various organizations and resources on campus.
- Residence Hall Move-In: May 20
- Summer Training: May 20-June 4 (approx. 8 a.m. - 10 p.m. daily)
- Freshman Orientation: June 5-July 13 and August 22-27 (approx. 7:30 a.m. - 11:00 p.m.)
- Welcome Week Training: August 17-23 (approx. 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. daily)
- Welcome Week Leader Prep Week: August 24-28 (approx. 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. daily)
- Welcome Week: August 29-September 2 (approx. 8 a.m. - 12 a.m. daily)
The following will be expected of OLs during New Student Orientation:
- Present to large audiences of new students.
- Facilitate small group discussions.
- Participate in Pieces of the Puzzle theatrical production.
- Support the logistics of the orientation program.
- Live in a University Residence Hall from May 20-July 13.
The following will be expected of OLs during Welcome Week:
- Prepare & implement training for Welcome Week Leaders.
- Plan and oversee Welcome Week Prep Week activities and projects.
- Attend Welcome Week and provide support to staff and activities.
- Present to large audiences of new students.
$3,800, plus room and board May 20 - July 13, 2018
Application and Selection process
Eligible applicants will go through a three-tiered selection process. The schedule for the selection process is below.
- Applications are due before 8:00 a.m. on Wednesday, November 1st.
- Applications will be reviewed and students moving forward will be invited to participate in a group interview. This notification will take place on November 9, 2017 and group interviews will be on November 12 and 14, 2017.
- Students moving on from the group interview round will be invited to participate in an individual and college interview to take place between November 18-December 12. Students selected for an individual and college interview will be notified on November 17, 2017.
- Students selected to be a 2018 Orientation Leader will be notified on December 14, 2017.
- We will be having an Open House event on Monday, October 23 from 6:30-8:00 p.m. in Bruininks 131B. This will be a great opportunity to learn more about the position in person with previous Orientation Leaders while enjoying free food.
The application is now closed. Questions?
Call 612-624-1979 or email email@example.com.