Assistant Director for Welcome Week
Set on the banks of the Mississippi River and surrounded by a vibrant metropolitan community, the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities campus is a world-class place to work. As a public research university with unparalleled opportunities, our faculty, staff, and students come from around the world and are engaged at the community level.
Join the Orientation & Transition Experiences team! As a department with the Office of Undergraduate Education at the University of Minnesota, the mission of Orientation & Transition Experiences (formerly Orientation & First-Year Programs) is to provide quality transitional experiences that maximize students' potential for personal and academic success.
A primary function of Orientation & Transition Experiences is to implement welcome programs and transition experiences for new students. The Assistant Director of Welcome Week works with the Director of Student Transition Experiences with the planning and implementation of Welcome Week. Welcome Week is a six-day program that serves 6000+ freshmen and up to 2300+ transfer students. The Assistant Director is responsible for managing Welcome Week events, communications and logistical operations. The Assistant Director serves on a team of 9 full-time, professional staff and many student staff and reports to the Director of Student Transition Experiences.
- BA/BS and at least four years of relevant work experience.
- Three years of full-time work experience in orientation, transition programs, student success area or related field.
- Demonstrates the ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrates commitment to diversity and inclusion with working with units that provide support, access and equity and/or enhancing programmatic content to meet the needs of students.
- Willing and able to work evening and weekend hours.
- A Master’s degree in Higher Education, College Student Personnel, or other related areas
- Three years of experience in large-scale event planning and programming, including managing and implementing program content and logistics.
- Previous experience working with transfer students, first-generation students, off-campus students or other student populations where experiences and skills could be transferred
- Previous supervisory experience of staff (student or professional).
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to manage multiple projects and perspectives, while having tolerance for ambiguity in implementing a campus-wide program.
- Ability to make data-driven decisions regarding programmatic efforts.
- Ability to work and communicate across organizational programs and priorities.
- Flexible and adaptable to change.
- Collaborative and diplomatic relationship style; promotes respect and practice of civility and inclusivity in the workplace.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Welcome Week Program Planning & Implementation (60%)
- Welcome Week Communications (25%)
- Supervision & Training (10%)
- Orientation & Transition Experiences Support (5%)
Application review will begin February 16..
APPOINTMENT & COMPENSATION
This position has the Academic Professional and Administrative (P&A) classification in the Student Services Job Family Professional 3, is 100% time, 12-month annually renewable appointment. This position is considered a strategic, mid-level position. Salary is commensurate with experience and includes a substantial benefits package.
Salary range for Student Services Professional 3: $44,000 - $48,000
Submit a cover letter which expresses your interest in and qualifications for the position along with your current resume and names and contact information of three professional references. Use the link provided here to apply: z.umn.edu/asstdirwelcomeweek.
The University of Minnesota is committed to the policy that all persons shall have equal access to its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, creed, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, or sexual orientation.